Friday, December 10, 2004

Perfectly swell...
My adorable friend Robbie, I think since I've known him, calls me "baby girl." In your head, you have to hear it in the voice of the dad from Good Times, played by John Amos. I don't know why, but it makes me feel calm.

Sometimes I call him "Daddy-o" in return (you have to hear it in the voice of Rosemary Clooney, circa 1938, singing Cole Porter's "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"). I used to call him Sugar Pie until I found out that it was the name of Anna Nicole's dog.

Why all the cutie-cuteness with the nicknames? Not so fast, Snappy McJudgment. Life would be a bore if we always called everyone by their real names. Michael called his friend Loraine "Shrimp LoMein" for five years running. He still substitutes "squirrel" for the word "girl" in every song he sings along with.

Hmmm. If you combine him with Robbie, my nickname would be "Baby Squirrel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...