Wednesday, January 05, 2005

I'm not that girl...
I've been on my neurotic ledge since New Year's Eve, where one of the other partygoers made the assumption that I'm married to my roommate. My response: "Um, he's not my husband, he's gay." Roommate's response: "She's not that stupid." The (not so) funny thing is that she said she thought he was gay, and she STILL thought we were married.

Why does this bother me? Because we all know what people think of women who marry gay men. Because I haven't dated anyone seriously since the 90s. Because now I'm wondering how many other people think that just because I live with someone, I must be having a relationship with him. Because I've had friends who KNOW me and still ask if I've ever hooked up with him (same cringe factor as asking me if I ever make out with my sister ).

He's a great friend/housemate/shouldertocryon/ally/pal, but we probably get along so well because we both like boys. I don't want to be the subject of town gossip, pitied for being clueless when I'm not, or single for the rest of my life.

Thanks. I feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...