Thursday, September 08, 2005

Are you there Margaret? It's me, God.
I am a Cho fan, so I was happy to hear her latest production, Margaret Cho: The Assassin Tour, hit theaters (in a few cities) last week. Since I live in my city (instead of San Francisco or NYC), I might have to wait for the DVD. Meanwhile, I've been reading her blog. Just when I thought there was no such thing as an activist with a sense of humor...

"If you are a woman, if you are a person of colour, if you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, if you are a person of size, if you are person of intelligence, if you are a person of integrity, then you are considered a minority in this world. And it's going to be really hard for us to find messages of self-love and support anywhere. If you don't have self-esteem, you will hesitate to do anything in your life. You will hesitate to report a rape. You will hesitate to defend yourself when you are discriminated against because of your race, your sexuality, your size, your gender. You will hesitate to vote; you will hesitate to dream. For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution, and our revolution is long overdue."
-Margaret Cho

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...