Thursday, April 20, 2006

Heyyyyy, Karma? I'm sorry for whatever I did so let's make up now, okay?
Bad day yesterday. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say it began and ended in tears. Deadlines, problems, exhaustion, frustration, more problems, more deadlines and, somewhere in the middle, financial solvency issues and a glimpse into my future mid-life crisis (which will not be pleasant, I assure you).

Around 5-ish I decided I'd had enough. It stopped raining (I thought it was a sign that things were looking up), so I got on my bicycle to ride the two-and-a-half miles home. My spirits lifted as I pedaled down the street; I even said hi to the winos in front of Super Bad King of Fashion Men's Clothing. I was about half a mile down the street when I hit a bump, heard a hiss, and stopped the bike so I could discover that my back tire was FLAT. Not low, not leaking - FLAT.

So I started walking the bike home. I was fine until I got to the lady who picks cans out of the trash bins under the overpass. When I passed, she said "Awww, honey, you got a flat tire, poor thing." Then I started crying. I walked (trudged!) the rest of the two miles, swearing, sweating, and quietly sobbing as I wheeled my lovely bike with its squishy tire all the way home.

Sing it with me now...

"Cause you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride..."
(~Daniel Powter)

4 comments:

  1. Hey -- at least you don't have kids! Or, what was it I said to try and make you feel better yesterday? I forget.

    But, here's something that just came to mind -- at least your pedal didn't fly off, causing you to tumble headfirst over your handlebars into oncoming traffic. That happened to the girl who was riding my cheap Wal-Mart Special when it broke. She nearly got run over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god. i'm sorry for your bike! :( and for you.

    but i love that you have a daniel powter lyric at the end. ;)

    it can only get better, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rotten luck! Half a mile from Super Bad is super bad.

    Of course, me being me, I'm thinking about how amazing a picture that would be in b&w, maybe a giclee print, the homeless woman comforting you as the flattened tire of the bicycle is reflected in the puddles left by the rain...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how it is the unexpected sympathy that allows you to feel sorry for yourself...sniff...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...