Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Vacation, all I ever wanted...

I had a wonderful Christmas, but have to admit that my vacation (which began Dec 22 officially, and ends Jan. 2) is the best present I got, followed closely by season 5 of Northern Exposure on DVD (thanks, Monkey!) and the Family Guy video game for PS2 (thanks, Keri!). Speaking of monkeys, Blogger ate my last post about helper monkeys and ponies in the form of an email exchange and I'm just too lazy to rewrite it now. But The Biffle and Alison used helper monkeys as a comedic Christmas theme, so you can get your giggle on there.

Besides the usual holiday-ness, I'm spending my vacation getting caught up on things that I don't have time to do when I'm working. Such as paying my car taxes (two months late) so I'm legal now after spending two hours at treasurer's office and DMV, spending the gift certificates I got for Christmas, car tune up, stocking up on firewood, cleaning house (especially after having 10-plus people over for xmas dinner), and coloring my hair (chocolate cherry). I'm also using this week to work on my book so I can meet my first deadline (in January) for an annotated chapter outline and about 5,000 words in the form of chapters. Everything has been finalized - contract signed - and my book will be finished by the end of March to be out by fall of 2007. I get such a kick out of little things, like how the standard friends and family question, "how's the writing going?" has changed to "how's the book coming along?" When I deposited my advance check, I wanted to jump up and down and tell the bank teller (yes, at the drive through) that the check was for MY BOOK. I didn't, but I wanted to.

To answer the obvious: the book is coming along fine. I'm loving every minute of working on it, even the research, even the editing. It's a topic I could talk about endlessly (women and work) and I also get to be funny.

I think 2007 is going to be a very good year.

7 comments:

  1. So, how is the BOOK coming along, Kelly?

    This is too exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. miss you here at work...it's just not the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insane with jealousy at the book deal.

    But happy for you, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the book gig. I can't wait to experience that myself. Currently living vicariously through you.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book? Yay! Big congrats to you girl! I've dropped off the blog radar recently cause of being away so I missed that...Yay again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got a review copy of this. I started it because I was going to use it as a Skirt reads, but if you want to check it out, I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. girlfriend, I knew nothing about this. Many congratulations to you - i can't wait for details!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...