Tuesday, March 08, 2011

I surrender...

I admit it, I give in. This day has completely kicked my ass.

Started off with a way-too-early doctor's appointment (note to self: don't schedule during drive-time traffic). Also, I discovered I am running slightly low on clean clothes about the same time I was getting dressed to leave, so ended up wearing a Depeche Mode t-shirt from high school with a sweater thrown over it.

Back home with a loooong to-do list, I figured I'd throw a load of clothes in while I worked. Sounded good, but after I moved them from washer to dryer, it started getting really warm in the kitchen area. I had to pull out and crawl up and over and behind the dryer for the THIRD time in a year to re-attach the hose to the dryer (you know, so the outflow will go outside instead of turning my laundry room into a steam room). My laundry room is just about large enough for a washer, dryer, and some shelving, so contortions were required. I think I pulled something.

I remembered to eat lunch (leftover Chinese food), but it was awful. Good for dinner last night, terrible reheated. Add that to the list of why I hate microwaves.

As a freelancer, I find it really difficult to turn down any projects (a good freelancer really shouldn't), unless it's something that violates my personal ethics. What happens as a result is that your days run into other days with things called "sleep breaks" in between and you no longer have time to do laundry, shop for groceries, make hair appointments, get a pedicure (summer's just about here!), and those things that you used to call "weekends" are just extra work days.

I'm a terrible person to complain about ANYTHING. Seriously. I have work that pays my bills, a mostly flexible schedule, and I get to hang out with my dog all day wearing yoga pants and a tank top.

But today? I'm allowing it. Just one day that kicked my butt, I'm offline for the evening, planning on actually cooking some food for dinner, watching mindless TV (Glee!) and that should be enough to regroup and start fresh in the morning. There's a light at the end of the tunnel and its name is "Balance." Also: "Day Job." Still looking.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...