Tuesday, August 09, 2011

On the job hunt front....

I've been awfully lax about keeping this site updated, but I have a good excuse: I've been working for almost a month at a new day job! For those of you who know me well and who have been keeping up with my (often amusing) tales during my job search, you know how great this news is for me. And I am happy to report that I love the new job. I'm online content editor for a high-tech company here in Austin, I get to work with a great group of creative people (I hadn't realized how much I've missed working with designers and art directors and having magazines like HOW scattered about), I have a regular schedule and also get to have weekends like normal people.

It took a few weeks to settle into the routine, the putting on of makeup and clothes that don't have stretch waistbands, shoes that aren't flip-flops and doing something to my hair other than putting it up in a ponytail. I miss my dog while I'm at work, but she's thrilled to see me every day when I get home so it all evens out. I also do not love the sitting in traffic, but I love the job so that evens out too (plus it gives me lots of time to listen to my favorite podcasts; time passes quickly when you're catching up on episodes of "This American Life").

And (AND!) I have some great stories about the job search. I had been freelancing since Sept./Oct. of last year so I could take my time and look for the right job for me and went on lots of interviews in an eight-month time period. I was talking to a friend last weekend about Karma and arrogance and hubris and how I often felt like I was being punished for something (pride, lack of compassion, taking pride in my lack of compassion) when I was working my way up the ladder. I believe we can learn a lot from the Universe if we just pay attention and it didn't take me long to start paying attention. In fact, I felt like I had a couple of interviews with the person I used to be - and I didn't like her very much.

I've learned to be grateful. I've learned humility. I've learned how to let go of the past. Most importantly, I've learned that I'll never stop learning. I plan to spend more time here, more time writing, getting back to personal narrative (because my mind is usually itching to after spending a full workday editing high-tech web pages) and to let my job be a job, not my identity.

Speaking of letting a job be a job, I've promised my friend and fellow writer Angie Mizzell a guest post and I'm hoping she hasn't crossed me off of her list yet, as I have a post in mind about that very topic.

Love you, mean it.

3 comments:

  1. Yippee! Can't wait to hear about your adventures. Always funny, always wise.

    I know the whole grass is greener thing, but sometimes I feel so entrapped by my regular paycheck having job and I really envy your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the grass is definitely always greener. I freelanced to make ends meet, but hoped it wouldn't take me as long as 8 months to find a job I liked with a steady paycheck and health insurance. But it did. I've discovered over the years that I am much more creative in my "off time" when I'm not using that creativity as much (or using it in a different way) at my day job. Regardless, it wasn't brave - it was necessary and I'm lucky to have the skill set to do it, but relieved that a great job offer came along when it did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay yay, happy dance! I'll roll out the red carpet for you, anytime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...