Monday, February 20, 2006

When your muse is MIA, drastic action may be required...
I write approximately 5,000 words a month for work (including one essay) and edit about four times that. When you spend your days reading and writing, and your "hobbies" include reading and writing, it can be difficult to come up with bright ideas. Instead of hunting the muse down and clipping her wings, I try to coax her back in a benevolent fashion. Where I'm going for inspiration these days:

For writing, the Poynter Institute always has good ideas. Today I like the collected 50 Tools for Writing on LifeHack.org.

For altered art, Karen Michel's Altered Imagery blog inspires me. I love her art journals.

When I'm feeling crafty, ThriftDeluxe always has something good. I'm thinking knitted leg warmers might be my next big project.

I'm not a graphic designer, but I love design magazines like How Design. More designer ideas here (I particularly like the idea about creating an inspiration board. I think everyone should make one.).

And for the online equivalent of a creative kick in the pants, MusetoMuse, Creativity Portal, and Soapbox Girls.

"I would especially like to recourt the Muse of Poetry, who ran off with the mailman four years ago, and drops me only a scribbled postcard from time to time."
~John Updike

4 comments:

  1. I left my muse back in Charleston in August. Good thing I get to visit her this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny because my muse has been spotted lurking around the streets of Savannah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous links, thank you Kelly! I've been Googling for writing inspiration for days with nothing good coming up and you've saved me with the cool knitting patterns as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think i will bookmark this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...