Monday, June 11, 2007

Finally making use of the Bento...

I've mentioned Mr. Bento before, and I bought him in April, but it's taken me this long to work up the energy to put him to work. After seeing myself in recent wedding photos (see previous post), I decided it was time to make grocery shopping for healthy food and actually cooking it part of my regular weekend routine so I can bring lunches to work that include more than packaged cheese sticks, sliced turkey, canned soup, or Kashi bars (because I am apparently one of those few people who can gain weight on eating 1500 calories a day). The secret for me is eating more calories at regular intervals, which usually means six small meals a day. And bento dining is perfect for that.

bentojune11-2007
This is today's Mr. Bento lunch: Salmon with dill and lemon, black-eyed pea and corn salad (also known as "Texas Caviar"), and berries with cottage cheese. I made everything myself - none of it is from the Earthfare deli (though I'm not above cheating with that from time to time). And since Mr. Bento keeps food cold (or hot) for six hours, I didn't even have to try and squeeze him into the tiny fridge at work. The salmon and half the Texas Caviar was lunch; the other half and berries I saved for a late afternoon meal.

Now I can join the Mr. Bento Flickr pool, instead of perusing the photos when I'm hungry and wishing I was the kind of person who makes a healthy, tasty home-cooked lunch every day. Because now I am.

12 comments:

  1. I'd buy one just for the name. Mr. Bento makes me smile whenever you mention it. It looks like a thermal tiffin box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so hungry right now, you evil woman! :) Actually the food looks delicious. I am cooking these days, but not feeling too healthy. I cook pretty healthy, my new husband and I are not so good with the average size portions! Love the Mr. Bento!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan - I know what you mean. I sort of feel like I'm dating Mr. Bento now. Except without the arguing and commitment issues.

    CG - The Bento is perfect for portion control! At first I thought the containers were a little small (they look bigger in this pic), but they're actually more food than I can eat in one meal. And the Bento Flickr pool gave me some good ideas for healthy, nonrepetitive meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "texas caviar" looks delicious! Care to share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor - my "recipes" are sort of fast & loose, but I based it on a healthy version I found on some web site...it has canned black eyed peas, corn (equal amounts of both), some apple cider vinegar, as much fresh cilantro as you like, bell pepper and red onion chopped fine, a little salt & pepper, some olive oil, and fresh garlic. It's best when it sits overnight (or longer!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so much to say about this I'm writing an essay and mailing it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to read Charlie's essay on your Bento.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So would I! Though I have an idea what it might include...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlie: we're on pins and needles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want one!!! Do they sell them in the UK? I am going to find out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My question is this: Do they keep food ONLY cold or ONLY hot, or can you put a few hot things and a few cold things in the same Bento?

    The reason I ask you is that some of the lunch in your picture looks like it would be eaten cold, and the fish was hopefully hot... was wondering how that works out in the same container.

    - M

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only cold or only hot - I don't really like hot salmon! I usually cook it the night before and keep it in the fridge. Still loving the Bento though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...